Myopia: a modern yet reversible disease

Tags: , ,
Posted 09 Aug 2014 in Uncategorized

Here is the video and slide set from my presentation at the Ancestral Health Symposium, August 9, 2014, in Berkeley, California. I enjoyed meeting many of you who were at the conference.  I’d recommend watching the video first, and perhaps follow along with the uploaded slide set in a separate window, since it is  more convenient for viewing references and other details.

(Note: You’ll notice some minor differences in the video and slide versions, as the AV team inadvertently projected an earlier draft rather then the final slides I had provided).

Video:

Slides:

(Click on image below and allow 30-60 seconds for slideshow to upload)

Overview of the talk.  For ease of reference, here is slide-by-slide “table-of-contents” summary of the presentation. People are always asking to provide a detailed explanation of exactly what steps to take to improve their vision.  You’ll find this bottom line “practical advice” in Slides 23-36

1. Title: Myopia: a modern yet reversible disease
  2. My story:   I wore glasses from Grade 10 until 15 years ago. I don’t wear glasses any more!
  3. To reverse myopia, we need to first understand the causes.
  4. Myopia defined.   Myopia can lead to serious problems like cataracts and macular degeneration
  5. The prevalence of myopia has increased by 50-100% since 1970, across all age groups in the U.S.
  6. There is evidence for both genetic and environmental causes.
  7. An 1883 study of military recruits found myopia was much higher in students and merchants than farmers
  8. A 1969 study of Eskimos found that myopia had increased dramatically since Western schooling was introduced
  9. A 2012 study of German students found more than 50% of university graduates had myopia vs. 25% for dropouts
  10. In countries like Singapore and Taiwan, myopia is common among even young school children
  11. There is evidence that certain genes predispose to severe myopia. Copper deficiency induces myopia due to increased scleral wall elasticity.
  12. Cordain found that a high carbohydrate diet and deficiency of EFAs and minerals promote myopia
  13. It appears that a myopiagenic environment (near work) is needed to activate  genetic predisposition to myopia
  14. What is the biological mechanism?
  15. The normal lens changes shape to focus
  16. Myopia progresses in two stages: (1) near work induces lens spasm, causing pseudo-myopia; (2) use of minus lenses temporarily improves distance vision, but leads to eye elongation and axial myopia.  The result of elongation is a need to prescribe stronger minus lenses, in a vicious cycle of ever stronger lenses.
  17. Eye elongation is explained by the incremental retinal defocus theory.  Retinal defocus causes release of neuromodulators that lead to decreased scleral tissue integrity, and axial growth
  18. The IRD theory has been proven empirically in chicks, monkeys and humans using optical reflectometry
  19. How can myopia be reversed?
  20. First, it is useful to understand the framework of hormesis — the beneficial response to low dose stress
  21. Weight lifting is a good example of hormesis and the principle of Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand
  22. What if gyms had the same business model as optometrists?  They would prescribe exoskeletons to help us walk, but these “crutches” would make us weaker, not stronger.  Lenses are crutches
  23. To reverse myopia with hormesis, we need to use active focus.  That means print pushing and plus lenses while reading, and progressively weaker minus lenses and image fusing for distance activities
  24. To embark on this journey, you must first determine how myopic you are, using a Snellen chart
  25. For print pushing, you need plus lenses only if your myopia is less than -2D. Otherwise use your naked eye
  26. Find the distance (D1) where print is at the edge of focus and (D2) where it starts to blur.  Read between D1 and D2
  27. Move back from your computer or book to stay between D1 and D2. Do this for 2-4 hours a day, taking frequent breaks.  Graduate to stronger plus lenses when you drop below 2D, and continue until you achieve 20/20 vision!
  28. For distance (walking, TV, movies, meetings) buy glasses with a 0.5D reduced prescription
  29. Once your vision gets better, you may notice “double vision” or ghosting.  This is a good sign and something you can use to improve your vision!
  30. Find distant objects with sharp contrasting edges: telephone wires, tree branches, edges of buildings or signs
  31. Focus on the darker of the double image and away from the fainter image.  With time, the darker image will become darker, and the fainter image will fade away
  32. Eventually the double image with fuse into a single crisp image — very exciting!
  33. Most people have a weak eye and a stronger eye with less myopia.  The stronger eye will dominate, so strengthen the weaker eye by patching, shielding or winking shut the stronger eye…until the two eyes are roughly even.
  34. Frequently asked questions
  35. How much time should I spend on print pushing?  Spend 2-4 hours a day while doing routine computer work or reading. This is not a separate exercise, but something you build into daily activity
  36. How long before my vision improves?  Be patient — it’s like exercise or diet and won’t work overnight.  Expect some improvement within a few weeks, but it may take a year or more to clear your vision
  37. Is this the same as the Bates method?  Bates had some incorrect ideas about focusing, but his relaxation techniques can help reduce ciliary strain on the lens (pseduomyopia).  However, his method does not help if you have axial myopia and spend a lot of time at the computer or reading.  Print pushing specifically helps with that.
  38. Does active focus really work?  Check out my blog and forum for success stories
  39. And for the skeptical, here is a page of references on the epidemiology and causation of myopia
  40. And more references on methods and websites that provide a similar approach to mine
  41. Your eyes are adaptive organs which allowed them to become myopic, but you can use that same adaptability to reverse the process using active focus for both near and far activities
  42. Rediscover your natural vision — make it fun, make it a habit, make it a game.  You only have your glasses to lose!

Also be sure to check out these related posts and discussions:

1. Raghav

Hi I live in Mumbai , India . My doctor says that my prescription will increase for a few more years as I am 17 1/2 years of age. My prescription a year ago was
    LE: Sph. -4.5 cyl.0.75 160
    RE: Sph. -4.75. cyl. 0.5. 20
    I have been practising print pushing and yoga and saying OMM as it is said it produces +ve vibrations, since 2 months but not equally everyday like I do it every half hour.

But I feel my far point is 26 cm. Although my far point ranges from 24cm to sometimes 27 cm but when I squint at this distance I see a little better ,still I am able to see as clearly as possible I bring object closer and closer to around 17 cm beyond which image begins to discolour into red and blue parts.

I used lens formula and found that lens of above prescription makes the image of object to form around 11-12cm . I don’t read with any glasses.My parents repeatedly warn me that I am playing with my eyes . I use lenses with above cyl. power but with Sph. Power -3.5 and I note temporary shifting of far point upto 27 cm but soon it comes back to 23-26cm.

I am preparing for the most competitive and coveted IIT-JEE entrance exam in my country so I study and watch related videos for around 8 hours daily and I also am under stress which varies so does my far point.

So please correct me if I am doing it wrong and how much time would it take for my prescription to reduce?

Raghav,

Reading at 11-12 cm would seem uncomfortably close for me. What is wrong with print pushing at your current D2 of 24-27 cm (9-11 inches)? That is already very close. I’d suggest print pushing with your naked eyes.

The biggest mistake you are making is to watch videos for 8 hours daily!! That is a huge stress on your natural eyes. Students need to spend time outdoors and doing physical activity. Give yourself eye and activity breaks throughout the day. It will actually improve your ability to study.

There is no way for me to predict how long it will take your prescription to reduce, because it depends on many factors, including your age, diet, and visual habits. But you should see some benefits within several months.

Raghav,

Reading at 11-12 cm seems too close for comfort. I’d suggest print pushing with glasses that are 2 diopters below your normal distance prescription — so about -2.5D.

It’s crazy to watch videos for 8 hours a day. At your age, you need to be physically active and outdoors part of the day. Take frequent breaks from your studies and videos and let your eyes get some time looking at distant objects.

It is impossible to predict how long it will take for your prescription to reduce. Reduce how much? With diligence you should see some improvement in a few months. It took you years to develop your myopia, and it will take you years to substantially reduce or eliminate it.

2. Todd

Then back off in frequency or take more breaks during reading sessions.

3. Kenneth

Hey my right eye is weaker than my left and i don’t want to tell anyone about it can u give me a good yet discreet method thanks

4. Jaron

Great video Todd, I am going to do this method, but I want to be sure I am doing it right.

I have 20/40 vision, and I am on the computer for most of the day, I don’t wear my glasses unless I am driving at night or need to see the whiteboard. When on the computer I just increase the font so I can see it a little easier.

So if I understand your method correctly I should decrease the font just to the point where it is almost unreadable and then practice reading at that level? The thing is, I am not quite sure where that level is because my eyes tend to squint to see better even if the text is huge. I always sit about 2 feet away from my monitor, but always find myself squinting to see text if it becomes a bit blurry.

Should I practice reading without squinting?

Right — avoid the squinting. It’s OK to “blink” every so often to help refocus.

5. Todd

Move from D1 to D2 occasionally — perhaps every 5 minutes — to test and reassure yourself that you are reading at the edge of focus. D1 and D2 can change over time, with lighting conditions, tiredness, etc.

6. Todd

A motivated 10 year old can benefit from this method, with supportive parents. Read this other article for specific tips on print pushing, plus lenses, and best practices:

7. Rose

Hi Todd,

I have myopia of -2.0 on both eyes. But I searched for articles related to reversible myopia for my son. My son is 5 years old and has high myopia of -7 on right eye and -5.5 on the left. I was in a shock state for few days after knowing this and started searching for methods to slow the progression of myopia and to improve his vision. This is really a motivational video and gives me some hope. As he is just 5, its difficult to do print pushing as he will lose concentrate after few minutes. Now we mostly take him outdoors and he rarely watch TV or use any gadgets. We are trying to encourage him to read letter in a distance. Can suggest me any kids eye activities or provide me any advice/tips from your experience to improve my son’s sight. Thanks once again for sharing your knowledge.

8. JUN

i can wear Contact lenses use print pushing?? What should pay attention to

9. David

Hi Todd,
    Can I apply this to my son who is six year old and just last week he was diagnosed short-sightedness (right eye -2.25 and left eye -2.00).

many thanks

10. Vivek Sharma

Hi Doctor…..Thanks for such an interesting perspective. I’ve one question.
    If this technique works, then shouldn’t the progressive myopia be cured on its own, provided, the patient doesn’t change his/her lenses?

Reversing myopia requires not only that you stop doing damage (excessive nearwork) but that you undo that damage by providing a counteracting stimulus. This doesn’t happen by itself, any more than strengthening weak muscles happens without effort. It requires intentional “active focusing” at the edge of the focal plane.

11. Hwei

Hi!

What glasses should I get for my child who has been diagnosed with myopia. Right is -1.25, Left is -1.5.

Thanks!

12. hetelek

Todd,

Thank you for this insightful article. I’ve been working on improving my eyes for about 3 or 4 months now and believe I have seen some improvement. I am writing to you asking if you’ve had or heard of anyone having similar experiences to me.

So (roughly) everyday, I read with reading glasses at the appropriate distance. When I’m driving or doing just about anything, I’m attempting to focus on distance lines or objects that have a clear border/edge. If I stare long enough, it clears up. I’ve had some moments of double vision during these 3 or 4 months (as you’ve explained), and believe I saw some improvement after it cleared up.

I’m mainly writing to ask if you’ve had weird experiences with blinking or tightly closing your eyes. It’s difficult to get a read on whether or not my eyes are improving because the quality of my vision differs semi-dramatically from blink to blink. It’s not an issue or annoying, but if I am focusing on a distant object and blink, the clarity often times gets much better or much worse until I blink again. I’ve also noticed that if I tightly close both of my eyes for two or three seconds, my vision is near perfect until I blink again. Have you had or heard of anyone else having a similar experience?

It can be frustrating because it seems like my vision is almost perfect. If I try, I can make it almost perfect (by blinking until it’s clear or by tightly closing my eyes for a bit). The problem is, it is not consistent and when I’m not putting effort towards making it clear by doing one of those things, it’s fairly blurry. I do believe my vision has overall improved since I’ve started, but I’ve been at a plateau for the past few weeks and have been getting frustrated/impatient. I know you’ve said that it will most likely come in spurts so I am still trying, but just wondering if anyone else has had this experience and what it means (if anything).

Once again, just frustrating because I can make my vision almost perfect my doing one of those things, but have not gotten to the point where my vision is consistently and always clear.

I used to wear -2.50 glasses/contacts, but I’ve completely stopped wearing them and can now read from a little under a foot away from the screen with +2.50 glasses. Unfortunately I didn’t use a Snell chart to keep track of my progress (and I’m not sure it would help considering what I said above), but could you possibly guess if I would’ve been able to do this from the start? Pretty ridiculous that I’m having trouble noticing if my vision’s improved, but I’m almost certain it has.

Thank you for this article!

Hi hetelek,

Yes indeed — clearing after blinking lightly or tightly is commonly reported and probably universal. I’ve seen several explanations. One is that blinking sweeps a thin layer of liquid across the surface of the eye, which acts as to temporarily increase the convexity of your lens, reducing myopia; another possibility is that blinking briefly shortens the axial length of the eye. I’m not sure what is the true explanation. But I don’t think it is peculiar to you — it works for me and just about everyone with whom I’ve spoken.

Glad to hear you are making progress with your myopia reduction. No big deal that you didn’t measure your starting point. But do measure your current Snellen and track it as you continue to improve. It will give you confidence that you aren’t just fooling yourself.

• j23

Could you confirm that after some longer time (e.g. I need a rule of thumb – maybe 1/2 year ?) this effect disappears that one has to blink many times to see sharply(and the eye did reshapen permamantly, and not only at short moments) ?

All your explanations seems valid – but it only confirms it is temporary improvement :
        * if you get tears then the eye is more flat and can see clearly.
        * same with the muscle inside the eye – it is re-adjusting to better position.

I have a few months experience with similar ‘training’ years ago , but the eyes got tension and tears all the times when I was just e.g. walking and trying to look at distant objects (so the brain was clearly steering the eyes to see sharp). Thus it was not only uncomfortable but unbearable so I dropped the exercises then.

The adjustment time varies from one person to the next, depending on your health, age, nutrition and level of commitment. But 6-12 months to see significant improvement is not uncommon.

You should never experience tension or redness. If you do, reduce the amount of time you are spending at this and be sure to add in “breaks”.

13. Davide

Hi Todd,
    Thank you for sharing all of this.
    Before finding your website I read De Angelis book and I started to do eye muscles exercises before beginning the defocus/print pushing exercises, that brought me to something slightly unclear. I understand that you have to read at D1 and sometimes to push to D2, for how long you have to stay in D2 if the vision don’t focus after awhile? Do you stay 1, 2 minutes on D2 and then back to D1 or you just always stay in D2? What is the right procedure to print pushing? Somewhere i read that you have to move repeatedly between D1 and D2, for how long you stay in in D1 and D2? Somewhere else I read that you just have to stay in D2… that’s my confusion, I spent hours reading the blog but I have’s found the answer yet.
    Thanks in advance,

Davide

14. Sree

Hi Todd,
    My daughter is 11 years old and -1 in left eye and -1.5 in right eye myopic. She does not want to wear eye glasses but does a lot of reading. She enjoys reading and spends most of the time reading novels or her school work.
    How long does she need to wear the plus lens in a day?
    does wearing plus lens have any negative effects on the eye as I read mixed articles saying the brain gets confused by creating an artificial effect?
    We really want her blurriness to go away naturally. Please help. Is there any doctor who helps on this principle in the Bay Area?

Thank you so much for your website and research. It really gives us hope.

15. Ritesh

Hi Todd,
    I have hyperopia in only one eye. My left eye is -0.5D & right eye is -6.5D.
    After going through your video, I understood that I must cover my dominating eye. And I shouldn’t put any glasses on while print pushing. But the maximum distance for me to focus at the edge i.e D1 is around 8-10 cms. Is it fine to do print pushing so closely to the reading material?

• Ritesh

I wrongly mentioned hyperopia. I have myopia.

I think you mean myopia — not hyperopia — in your right eye. A negative diopter score means myopia. And yes indeed, with -6.5D, you will need to bring the print quite close to be able to read in focus! But if you keep “testing” your D2 (edge of blur), you’ll be able to push that distance back farther week by week. Soon enough, it will get more comfortable!

16. shifu

i am very frustrated with my myopia (currently -4.5 ). i have been wearing spectacles since 8 years and now i am 17 yrs old. I am now undergoing intense study time and i have to use computers and other screens. this is a very crucial part of my life(i am prepping up for iitjee exam). but sometimes i catch myself worrying about my eyes as i really dont wanna lose my vision. please help me.

17. Hey out there. My name is Sarah ,im 18 years old. My right eye is a lazy eye with a dioptre of +4,00 and the left one is -1,00.So I probably work with one eye. The left one actually had a dioptre of +0,75 for over three years,and now before 5 months it changed to -.Ive never had any problem with my left eye when it was +0,75.But since my dioptre changed for unkown reason,ive noticed some ghosting on subtitles on Tv,or Pc,(even with glasses on) or even on objects with clear border or edge (but only if they are horizontal for examp. the shelf lines that are horizontal (here with glasses they seem more clear but slighty moving and without them ,they are worse)). Should I do the print pushing even if i have anisometropia and should I wear plus lenses for eyes while reading or writing?

Start print pushing with your weak left eye, patching your right eye with a diffuser, or just holding your hand at a 45 degree angle to block reading but allow light to enter. Periodically unlatch and read with both eyes to train them to work togeterh.

18. Owen

hi Todd,
    Your youtube video is so informative !
    Quick question about Cylindrical power.
    Do I reduce Sphere first, Cylinder first ? or together ?

Thank you !

Best Regards,
    Owen

Start with spherical. Once you see progress there, you can also reduce cylindrical. Many find that astigmatism naturally reduces as myopia is corrected.

19. Sarah

Hello Todd,

I am in my 30s with myopia – I didn’t have eyesight problems growing up until after University.

I have always avoided wearing glasses and even when given a new stronger prescription have stuck with the previous one as I truly believe using my glasses makes my eyesight worse as they start to become lazier.

However, my eyesight seems to be worsening anyway – over the last year it’s got harder to avoid using glasses (e.g. I didn’t used to wear them to watch TV but now I need to, or when I’m doing photography).

Any thoughts?

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Minimizing the use of glasses is a good start — but it’s not sufficient for reversing your myopia. The essential element is to begin intentional reading and visualizing of objects precisely at the limit of your focal range — where even another inch will cause blur. This is a precise action and involves conscious and deliberate practice! You can’t just go around without glasses.

You can do this while reading, watching TV, or whatever. Watch the video carefully and the technique is laid out there.

20. Milad AZ

Hey Todd,
    I’m myopic and I got a simple question about weaker prescription lenses. Wanna know if they are necessary to use next to plus lenses. Are they a ‘must’ for reversing myopia, or only using plus lenses will do the trick?

Print pushing (with plus lenses only if your myopia is less than -2) works when you are reading or for close work. Under prescribed lenses work if you are doing distance activities (TV, watching lectures). You of course don’t absolutely need both, but then you are getting the benefits only half the time.

21. Gilad

Hello,
    I have a (cornea) disease called Keratoconus that effects my right eye . As a result, the ghosting is terrible and vision is blurry in that eye. This can not be solved. On the other hand, my left eye is fine – just myopia .

I have distance glasses with myopia + cylinder lens on the right side and just myopia lens on the left side . Because they help me with my right eye vision (thanks to the cylinder lens I guess also help) – I wear them all the time.

Few days ago I found out that the lens for my left eye (with no Keratoconus as I mentioned) is too weak now – I don’t see as well as I did with it. After reading for a while, I found out that this can be because all of the close-work I do with my distance glasses on (I wear them all the time).

So, I want to use my left and healthy eye without glasses for up-close work (and doing push reading as you mentioned) – but without my glasses, my right eye does not see well. I also have latent strabismus in the right eye, but when I use the glasses and the vision is corrected, it really helps with that as well.

What can I do? Should I order another pair of glasses with much weaker myopia number on the left side and full myopia number + cylinder on the right side? (And use this for up close work)
    Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated !

Also, how can I do push reading when my vision in the right eye is so bad?

Thank you !

Hi Gilad,

Sorry to hear about your Keratoconcus.

Print pushing should work particularly well for your left healthy eye, since the right eye does not see when and won’t “compete” with it. You don’t say how strong your myopia is, but if it is more than 2 diopters, you can just read without any lenses, at what ever distance is at the edge of blur (D2). For details on this, see this blog post:

For normal distance vision, you can order a pair of glasses with the right eye as prescribed for the Keratoconcus, and the left eye undercorrected — first by 0.25, then with progressively weaker corrections as the print pushing reduces the myopia in the left eye.

22. Steven

Hello, and thank you for this great post. I have really gotten annoyed lately with my always dirty glasses, and I remembered hearing something one time about the Bates method. And when I searched for that, I ended up with this, and this seems much more scientific. I’m excited to get started. My vision is -6.5/-7.75, so I’ve got a long way to go, but it will be worth it. One question, though: is there a benefit of going without glasses whenever possible, such as when I’m just walking around my house or in the yard? I know taking off my glasses is good for my near work, but for medium to long distance, will not having my glasses on allow the lenses in my eyes to relax, and therefore help undo the damage done by wearing strong lenses for so many years? I know I won’t get back to 20/20 just by taking off my glasses, but will it help, or will it result in too much strain on my eyes? I will also order some reduced prescription glasses so that I can practice my active focus with my distance vision.

Thank you so much.

Going without glasses “whenever possible” will not do much for you. The eye is stimulated to change only when focus is within reach. Hence, print pushing should be done at the edge of focus, and distance viewing with slightly under corrected lenses.

23. Eddie

Hi Todd,
    Your video is very inspiring. Thank you for such an informative and helpful content. But i have something to ask you:
    – my right eye is now -6.25 and my left eye is -5.25 so for reading books and computer i will have to use my naked right eye first to bring it to the level of my left eye. But sometimes i don’t read but working with things like simulation, coding or gaming on computer…should i do these things with my naked eyes as well? by the way, i have to get very close to the computer screen while print pushing reading, is it okay?
    or should i do it with a weaker prescription glasses?

With strong myopia like yours, ssing your naked eye to print push while doing close work is the best place to start. Weaker prescription glasses for distance are good, but secondary.

24. Linda Davis

I sent this back on November 28 and do not see any reply from you. Here it is again:
    Hi Todd-

I have been trying print pushing since my last post and I don’t see an improvement. After blinking, the print does not clear. And I try it several times and get discouraged since nothing happens.
    I have been reducing my distance vision lenses since my distance vision has improved. I started at -9.75 and now I am working with -8.0 lenses.
    So, since distance is improving and close vision is not, what does this mean? Why doesn’t less myopia result in being able to read with the print further away? Before my prescription was so high, reading was better way back then…
    Thank you!

Hi Linda – Sorry, I just posted an answer to your original question. Let me know if that answered your question. — Todd

• Linda Davis

(Sorry for the 2nd email – I only needed to wait a few more minutes!)

I did measure the distance where the vision just started to blur over a year ago. And as of today, it still is about the same.
        I’ll try measuring where vision is clear and see if that shows anything. Does it take longer for near vision to improve or should near and distance improve about the same?

Thank you!

Hi Linda,

You ask a good question. I really don’t have any good data or experience as to the speed of changes in near or far vision. Another thing you can do is to track your progress with a Snellen chart, and do it every week:

• Linda Davis

Thank you.
            I do use the Snellen chart when I notice my distance vision has improved to see if it is 20/20.
            But, I never used it weekly. Is there a chart to use for near vision? The link you sent gives directions for checking distance vision.

Hi Linda,

Indeed there is a good chart for testing near vision (for hyperopia). It is on this site – click on the PDF for “Classic Eye Chart: Joel Schneider’s 3-page Snellen Chart plus near vision testing card”:

25. Todd

Any updates?

26. Jay

Hi Todd,

I just wanted to let you know that I read your article and started print pushing for a couple of months or so now. I don’t think I’m really seeing any results and was wondering how long it should take before noticing improvements in my vision? What I am noticing when I’m print pushing is that when I blink it will improve my vision temporarily, but if i blink again it goes away. I understand that this occurs because blinking can change the focus point, however am I following the process correctly? I work 8 hours a day pretty much in front of a computer screen and making a conscious effort to read at the edge of blur. The problem I’m having is being able to push the edge of blur further away permanently, it’s just temporary.

Thanks,

Jay

27. Hi Todd,Just as print pushing does print pulling too effective in eliminating myopia?.I say this because when you print push with plus lenses it is obvious that you are print pulling too when you go back to D1 to D2.

28. Samuel

Hi Todd,extremely sorry for the grammatical mistakes in my last email.My question was that you have told that hyperopes should use the method of “print pulling” for them to eliminate hyperopia..But however when a myope print pulls,doesnt he also “print pull”when he moves from D2 to D1?So isnt the effect of print pushing neutralised when a myope print pulls?

29. Hi Todd,

I am about to purchase a new laptop, and as a journalist for my job and a creative writer in my spare time, I can spend quite a lot of time in front of the computer. Obviously I can’t do much about my computer at work, but when purchasing a laptop, I wondered if the optics of the screen are an important factor in helping the eyes to improve. I bought an Acer last week because they are meant to have reduced screen flickering and glare, and the one I got had a bluelight shield feature meant to reduce blue light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXSePR-Owp8

Unfortunately, when I got said Acer home and turned it on it made a rattling noise that would have annoyed me endlessly for the life of the thing, so I promptly took it back. I am now considering an HP Pavilion, though other than upgrading to the i7 version that has a 1920 by 1080 screen resolution for more detailed, crisper images, I don’t know if it would be as good for my vision as the Acer, or if the kinds of features Acer is promoting are even that important.

Do you have a view on this? Thanks.

Sorry, Greg. I don’t have any particular thoughts on selection of laptops or laptop screens. In general, I’d go for high resolution and the ability to adjust image brightness.

30. Dean

Hi Todd,

I understand the principle of the theory, would just like to confirm that I am correct in some of my assumptions.
    I don’t see much mention for higher myopia like myself -5.00 both eyes.

For Print pushing would it be beneficial to wear the full prescription -5.00 and then put on the +1.5-2.0 Lenses to allow for that slight blur in print pushing.

Realistically speaking for anyone at around -4 or worse in terms of myopia, print pushing is not realistic sitting in an office all day. You would need to be barely a few centimeters from the monitor.

Am i correct to assume high myopes should go about it in this way? Wear something close to your full prescription for distance vision but add around +0.25 to 0.5 to make your prescription slightly weaker (ex: -5, wear -4.5). And for close vision do the same thing but add a + lens for all close work that allows for a comfortable distance of print pushing. (contact lenses would be the best option in this case or two pairs of – glasses ex: -5 presc, distance -4.5, close -3.5). This would also solve having to cover one eye for people with different preciptions in one eye.

Are these assumptions correct or am I misinterpreting the post or adding alternative complications unnecessarily?

Correct

31. Kazim

Hi Todd,

Your video was quite informative, My son 5 years have a -3.0 on both, can we use the same method to improve his eye sight. he is using a -2 glasses at the moment. do you recommend it for young kids, is this benefit keeping in view the kids continuously growing.

let me know your advise please.

Thanks

Kazim

32. Kumaresh

I have -.5D power in both eyes. What is the appropriate power to be used in + lens for print pushing to gain back my 20/20 vision. How much time does it take for my vision to get perfect again.

33. Kajal

Hi, My son going to be 7 years in a week is diagnosed of myopia.20/30 in both eyes and is given a prescription of -0.5. How can i reverse his myopia. Can limited near work, outdoor play time help him or should he be wearing plus lenses. If Yes, what Diopter and for how long each day? Please advise. I really need it. Thanks much.

34. Arbaz Jehanzeb

Hi, my right eye is -1.75D SPH and left is -0.25D SPH I have no astigmatism and I have the same prescription for more than five years. Will reading glasses improve my vision if I use +1.00 for right eye and +2.50 for left eye. I can’t read clearly without glasses because I don’t have to focus from right eye and have to focus from left eye. Please tell me, will my eyes get better with time?
    Thanks

35. deb

Hii Todd…..
    Iam a very high myopic of -11D in RE and -12D in LE with slight astigmatism too. Is it possible to cure? I am a teacher. So have to read a lot. How to proceed for recovery? Please suggest. I am in no hurry. I know that this change doesn’t come quickly. I started wearing spectacles when I was 12 and now I am 27. I used to wear contact lenses outside home. My power is fixed from last 4-5 years.

36. Jaysa

Hi Todd,

Your video is very inspiring and thanks for such helpful content.
    I have myopia with -7.5 in my left eye and -8 in my right eye. Print pushing with naked eye is not possible for me as i have to bring print very close to be able to read. So in that case should i use under prescribed glasses(If yes then how much under prescribed)?? and also what should i use for distant vision??

37. Collin

Hi Todd,

This page is very informative for the one who seeks to improve their eyesight. Thank you.

I was given glasses when I was 6, and 13 years later, in a moment of inspiration, I thought to myself, why do I have to wear glasses? Is this natural? After a day or two of researching online, I felt convinced I could reverse my myopia. Since that day, I stopped wearing my contacts and only wore my glasses when at work on the computer, and to drive sometimes.

It’s been about 3 years since that day. Back then my prescription was in the -4’s. I don’t know what it is right now, but I know it’s still not great. I still have a tough time reading signs at the grocery store. I get discouraged sometimes because I thought my vision would be better after this amount of time. I don’t mind not having the best vision, but the biggest disappointment is that I can’t recognize people that well, so sometimes socializing can be difficult. I know I could just wear a weak pair of glasses, but I can’t pull myself to do it. I feel like I’m giving up in some way if I wear glasses (other than for driving and to see the comp at work).

i have done many different exercises, but none consistently because I didn’t know if there would actually be results. I thought not ever wearing glasses would force my eyes to adapt and have improved vision. They have improved, but not as much as I wanted them to.

I could do more exercises I suppose, but I’m not convinced doing exercises will really bring me the results I want. Do you have any advice for me? Or maybe some success stories? I am most motivated by the example and successes of others. Thank you.

38. Narayan Sahoo

Hi Todd Namaste! I have -1 in right eye and -.25 in left eye. How can i improve my myopia ..do print pushing will help. should i use a + lens. Would you like to share your Email id. while doing focus and print pushing do i need to take out my glass.
    Sai Ram.

39. Usaamah Ibrahim

Should I wear my glasses all day or not wear my glasses all day? Will results be faster. Btw I’m not looking for a quick fix.

40. Michael

Hi Todd,

Thanks a lot for the great video, you really got me hooked up on the print pushing and ghost image fusion. Luckily, my office gets plenty of natural light and I have an unobstructed view of the buildings hundreds of yards away so I can practice both your techniques interchangeably.

I’m currently in the process of ordering a pair of plus glasses from the website you mentioned, Zenni. THis is my situation:

OD -2.25 (Sph)
    OS -2.25 (Sph) -0.50 (Cyl) 180 (Axis)

I know you said only order a plus glasses if your myopia is -2.0 and less but I seem to be doing good progress with print pushing and would really like to take things up a notch. Hence the plus glasses.

The question I have for you is – when ordering for instance +1.0 glasses, how do I account for the -0.5 astigmatism in my left eye? Do I just order +1.0 / -0.5 / 180 or do I ignore the cylinder?

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing from you.

Either way is fine. You can order with the cylindrical correction, or just ignore the astigmatism. It tends to diminish as your myopia fades.

41. Lisa

Hi, I wanted to ask does wearing plus lenses prevent myopia. Is there any side effect of wearing a +3.00 reading glasses for children’s eye who prescription is 0 diopter? Thanks lisa

Plus lenses can prevent myopia, but only if you wear them while reading or doing close work. Otherwise, go without glasses. And no, there is no harm to wearing them.

42. Navin Morajkar

Hi Todd!

I’m Navin. Your youtube video was quite informative but I had a question in my mind. I am wearing specs since 5 years and at that time my left eye (which is weaker) was CYL-1.00, SPH 0 and right eye was CYL -1.50 and SPH -3.75. Doctor said this was because of the genes that i got specs at very young age and told me to wear the glasses all day. But as I grew older my number also increased and now it is CYL -2.25 and SPH -4.50 for the left eye and right eye CYL -2.25 and SPH -1.75 and the doctor has written ‘For constant use’.

Doctor says it has no solution and the number will keep increasing as the age will.Why do they say this?

And sir, please suggest me which anti-corrective lenses should i use.

and when we talk about the specs number is it CYL or SPH?

Hi Navin,

Some of your questions are answered here:

Myopia is treated by the spherical (SPH) correction, the first number. The cylindrical (CYL) correction is for astigmatism.

When your doctor says there is no solution to myopia, ask him why myopia used to be rare and now it is very common. Show him the statistics in my slides. Have our genes changed quickly – or has the environment changed? So then what changed in the environment?

43. SACHIN SAKURE

HELLO..I HAVE -6D in both eyes.. i am really worried because i think i may suffer retinal detachment.. should i use -3D or -2D for close up work ? can i really reverse my myopia ? how long it can take ?

44. Savannah

Hi there!

I recently went to the optometrist and my vision has gotten progressively worse. I am currently at a -7.75 and a -6.00.

As a high school student, I am currently looking at possible future careers and I have become more interested in joining the military as an officer. The military requirements are that myopia cannot extend past -8.00 diopters.

Do you think that this method could help me stay away from the -8.00 that would disqualify me from enlisting?

Read through the comments to the blog and the linked Forum, and you’ll see success stories with many who have severe myopia such as yourself. However, results vary a lot, based on a factors such as genetics, age, diet, technique, and — very important — persistence.

45. Kaushik

I have myopia
    LE: -0.5
    RE: -0.25

What should be the power of the positive lens i should wear for print pushing while at work.

46. Timo

I’m curious about one more thing. It is reportedly done research… children who have received weaker lenses, their eyesight deteriorated faster. What Do you think about it?

Makes sense to me, but it helps if you can cite a reference author and paper.

47. Lisa

Hi tod,
    I wanted to ask does practice sunning improve myopia? Or some said uv light can harm the eye. which is true?
    Thanks
    Lisa

I would not recommend “sunning” or any practice involving staring into the sun. Take a look at everything posted about eye hygiene during the recent total solar eclipse, and you’ll understand why that’s a bad idea.

48. Anjana

Hi Todd,Im 17 years old and i have -1.25 myopia in both my eyes-which is quite mild but i really want to get it to -0.5 which is the legal driving standard.What + prescription do you reccomend I wear to print push beacuse i cant hold a book at 85 centimetres away which is what I can naturally see.(Also i hardly ever wear my prescription glasses except for driving lessons). Many thanks

Anjana,

Your blur point (D2) IS 85 cm. You want to bring it closer, so you can print push while reading. A typically reading distance is about 50 cm. So go to the pharmacy try on some plus lenses until your blur point (D2) is at about 50 cm. Probably a +1 or +1.25 plus lens will do the trick.

49. Magwitch

What is the best food for your eyes
    what foods make this process faster ??
    best food for improvement

thansk…

Best foods for the eyes are brightly colored vegetables like carrots, red and yellow peppers, etc., and oily fish (or just take fish oil). Also avoid sugar.

50. Hi Doc,
    I am a myopic with these details
    Right eye -6/-1.25×20
    Left eye -5/-2×170

I saw your video and I was very much exited to go with your suggestions
    I started Print pushing first and have come up with some queries

A.) My D1 is 7 inches , is it good bad ?,should I continue with he print pushing at 7 inches

B.) For print pushing I am not using my glasses but do I need to continue wearing my normal glasses rest of the day ?

C.) Should I order a glass with less power as you suggest ,but how about the spherical and axis glasses ?

D.) Your method talks about myopia , what can be done to improve on the axis ?

It would be of great help if you could just answer my queries.
    Thanks in advance .